Splendid Delights to Sink Your Teeth Into

We are led by our passions for all things born of the past and found in the present.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Everything Old is New Again!


I recently received a gift from one of our patients. It arrived in a humble cardboard box with a very sweet note attached. Inside was a small set of deer antlers.  One of our physicians was so funny, he just couldn't get over someone giving a gift like that. He said he thought that was the strangest gift he had ever seen someone receive. Now I'm a vegetarian and it did shake me a little as I saw the raw state they were in. I sought advice from decorators and artisans and Sarah, Tracy Porter's friend offered the best advice. She brought up a good point that these antlers could have come from an animal that died of natural causes. It was possible since they came from a very remote part of our area. She suggested that I go for the chateau look where antlers and sumptuous artifacts are common. I looked through the book, "the New Eighteenth-Century Style: Rediscovering a French Decor by Michele Lalande. 

This is what I came up with. I realize this is not every one's style, but it works for me. The whole layout has layers of meaning to me from the selection of pictures to the heart shaped rocks on the raw marble tabletop to the aging worn books. It is my little piece of chateau living.  I encourage you to develop your own style. Create a look that is meaningful and timeless. 

No comments: