Splendid Delights to Sink Your Teeth Into

We are led by our passions for all things born of the past and found in the present.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Spring has come again!



I am a pack rat as was my father. Some might say it was his worst trait, I say it was his best. While I am on a "debt diet" I must invent ways to recreate from what I have. This is just an inspirational snippet. 

Always keep your eye peeled for end-of-the-season sales on high-quality faux greens, berries and flowers. They can always be re-purposed in so many directions. Here are my spring re-do's

I checked the price of topiary at my local Home Goods store. They were reasonably priced, but I wanted a "deal". I thought about what I already had around the house. Many years ago my daughter gave me some fine quality olive branches that were being tossed out from her store's display. I had recently bought a bougie flower pot from Anthropologie. I was out of oasis foam so I used a large piece of bubble wrap, plugged in my hot glue gun and pulled out some moss from my "stash".  Determining the height I wanted I snipped off  the excess stem and intertwined them to create a cohesive look. Next, I folded the bubble wrap to fit inside my pot and then removed it and wound it around the base of the branches. I hot glued it in place inside my pot. I covered the bubble wrap with moss glueing it in securely. The leaves and olives needed fluffing and I coaxed them into a ball shape. 

I had another chippy, agey pot I got at Anthro. I took styrofoam balls leftover from a holiday project and covered them with moss, securing them with gold embroidery thread. Plopped on a stack of books, it adds springy wonderfulness.

I have a French aluminium hanging garden can I picked up on sale from a little French store and I  dropped a few faux mossy pebbles inside (from Z Gallerie, on sale of course!), snipped some lavender and boxwood from my garden, nestled in a small rustic nest. So easy!

Be on the lookout for great pots, they are usually inexpensive, but when dressed, they really pack some decorating punch. 

As I stroll through the LUSH GARDEN, I am in awe that not long ago this was once a MUDDLED DOODLE on graph paper...Carolyne Roehm

click on the pictures to see them in a larger format

 

No comments: