Splendid Delights to Sink Your Teeth Into

We are led by our passions for all things born of the past and found in the present.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Well Traveled Woman

{photo: fabuloulyfrench and LV}

Do you like to travel? Wish you knew the little secrets that make jet-setting around the globe a little easier? We are interviewing one of our BeckwithRoad readers who lives abroad...in Glasgow, Scotland to be exact. She just returned from Israel a few hours ago and has graciously allowed us to interview her.
Here are some of her photos taken in the last few months.  


A visual of her surroundings.


A scene from her 60 mile hike across the moors of Scotland. 


Lovely farmland~it's no wonder they have some of the best clotted cream and dairy in the world!


Grab your wellies and go for it!


Sheep that graze at the nearby manor house.


Amsterdam~canals~one of their famous methods of travel.


Interesting architecture.


A weekend in Paris every now and then.


Really lovely!


Some of the charm found in this amazing city.


The queen of macarons found here ~ so unlike our American macaroons.
The French have given the world many gifts, and this is one of their best.


Israel, ancient, dripping in history.


A view from my hotel room.


The structures, the landscape, the beauty.


Standard transportation? No! But it makes us glad the automobile was invented...can you imagine?


London Bridge

Hi E,

Let me first begin with a little intro about you. You left your rural roots right out of high school and went to a top business school some distance from your childhood home in Northern California. Not knowing a single soul there, you began your journey that led you through school, a business degree, a job with an international auditing company, and literally now you travel the world. (a very smart cookie, we might add) Currently you reside in Glasgow, Scotland.

In the past 2 years, how many countries have you visited?

I have been to 9 countries in 3 different continents. In the near future I am taking my first trip to South Africa where I will be there for 3 weeks.  Soon after  I will be in Spain for a 5 city summer tour for 10 days. Germany, and the Gran Canaria Islands are coming up later in the year...a birthday gift...travel on my birthday is a must...then Hawaii to conclude 2011.

What should every traveler know when going to a foreign country?

I would always recommend that you research the culture and customs of the country and people you are about to visit. On my recent trip to Israel, I found it quite important to know what their everyday life was like (very modern and Western) and how to show respect at places of religious significance and worship.

What makes navigating the airport a little easier? Tell us what you know.

I know we hear the advice to arrive 2 hours early for your flight and we might scoff at that, but by planning this way you can eliminate a lot of stress. When you get there early, be sure you read all the signs (very important) and get familiar with your surroundings. Now if  everything goes smoothly and you have the time, most airports have amazing Spas. Get yourself a manicure, pedicure or relaxing massage before you set off on your journey. 

What experiences have you had recently while in another country that our readers might find interesting?

Recently while I was in Israel, standing at the Western Wall, I was so touched by this nearly 2,000 year old landmark. As I laid my hands and head on it, and said a prayer for my family present and past, I was struck by the diverse group of people visiting there. At this very spot that has withstood so many wars and religious conflicts - was the very place people were drawn to - to seek peace and solace. I was enlightened and my faith awakened. 

Tell us about Glasgow from your perspective. What are it's people like, their way of life? Favorite places?

Scotland is by far the most beautiful country I have ever been to~I am fortunate to live there. I tell everyone that comes to visit, there is nothing more beautiful on this planet than Scotland on a sunny day. The people are some of the most relaxed and friendly you will ever meet. Upon arriving here, I was all alone-I knew no one. On any given night when I would run out for a quick bite, I would inevitably meet and make some new friends. We would share a conversation and a few laughs and soon I had a new circle of friends. I think I can credit some of my intrigue to my "accent" and California colloquialisms!

The dress here is relaxed and casual with a High Street flare, attributed to the social life. You may happen upon  a standard Scottish Pub, and find an amazing Jazz band captivating all the "pub-goers" attention for example. Scotland is down home with a sophisticated twist. 

What is the funniest thing that has happened to you while traveling?

Funny/embarrassing. I was flying back to Scotland from San Diego. I was to meet a friend from San Diego at our layover who was just returning funny enough from Scotland. We met at the Newark Airport to have some wine and tapas, and after a few glasses of wine, we said our good-byes, I walked with her to her gate, after a quick hug I turned and "gracefully" caught my kitten heels (didn't feel like packing them-bad decision) in one of my pant legs. The weight of my laptop back pack pulled me backwards and I flipped over like a turtle on its shell! My friend was laughing hysterically and one of the gate attendants had to walk over and help me up. NEVER WEAR HEELS WHILE TRAVELING!

What are the most interesting sites you have been to?

Singapore, a country less than 1/2 the size of the big island of Hawaii that has over 5,000,000 inhabitants. With all the hustle and bustle, I was expecting chaos upon arrival, but it was quite the contrary. They are well organized and very functional. I felt totally safe when out on the streets. The British held the main influence until the mid 1900's. It has a high expat population, as well as Malaysian and their cuisine tickles the taste buds. Very tasty! One minute you can be by a Buddhist Temple and the next, you'll be walking right in the middle of China Town where you might be bargaining prices with a food hawker. For my first experience visiting an Asian country, it was a good one. 

On a personal note...you've got out there and done a lot on your own...what is your life motto?

Choose happiness. We can't control everything that happens to us, but we can choose how we react to it.
It's natural to be frustrated, sad, annoyed, etc. at times, but at the end of the day happiness is a choice - no one can take that from you. 

Thank you E for taking some time out of your busy schedule to chat with us. In closing what are your favorite indulgences right now?

Israeli food (I  probably gained 5 lbs while there, but it was well worth every bite), Dolce and Gabbana eyewear, Florence and the Machine and Adele for music, Chanel and Ralph Lauren (while in Paris, the Chanel store rocked my style world) when money's no object, for everyday wear, H&M and for more posh outings, House of Fraser, Miss Dior Cherie perfume, The Diary of Anne Frank is my all time favorite book bought by my mom for me at a grade school book fair...the best book ever~Thanks mom! I love the food at Waitrose....and a good pub...yes that too.

And the future? What would you still like to accomplish?

I want to continue to experience the world and learn of its different cultures. I plan to dive deeper into Asian destinations, I'm intrigued by their culture. In closing I would like to say the nomadic life I lead can sometimes be hard. I would love to find the love of my life and have a family one day. In the meantime, I am living life fully, blessed with great friends and a family, and choosing happiness at every turn.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A pretty impressive travel itinerary. Nice article.

Elizabeth said...

You are awesome Aunt Jan....truly a gifted lady!

Anonymous said...

I'm totally impressed by this article and how well spoken ad traveled you are E. GREAT read.
-k

Nancy Harvit said...

I was so impressed by your article on "the well traveled woman". It such a great read. I am equally impressed by the world traveler . Both ladies I hold in high reguard. I am certain I will visit some of these destinations in the near future. Thank you for all the great information. A devoted fan!

Beckwith Road said...

Thanks for your kind comments.